With the ever-evolving trends within the beauty industry, it seems almost impossible to find the right skin care range and routine for you. We’re always looking for that perfect foundation that will cover up EVERYTHING, but we forget that the best foundation IS the foundation – your skin. To really understand your skin, we need to go back to the basics. We are going to keep things short and sweet, so here are a few things to consider when looking for the right product and skin care routine to incorporate into your lives.
First you need to figure out your skin type. Here are the 5 common skin types:
- Normal skin: Neither oil, nor dry.
- Oily Skin: Your skin over produces sebum, generally through the T-section of your face (down the middle of your face and across your forehead).
- Dry Skin: Generally flakey and dehydrated skin.
- Sensitive Skin: Generally very dry skin – reactive to certain products.
- Combination Skin: Combination of both dry skin and oily skin.
Now that we’ve worked that out – we can start looking towards skin care products that are tailored to our skin type. We won’t recommend any particular brands in this article – but we do recommend going organic! You’d be surprised how much your body will positively react to products that are derived from plants and not chemical-laden products.
Firstly, we need to wash our face! Just like you shower daily, your face needs the same care. You wouldn’t shower with just water and no soap – same goes for your face (replace soap with cleanser). Ideally we should be washing our face morning and night. Not washing your face before you go to bed is the worst thing you can do for your skin! Think about all the grime, dirt and pollution that is sitting on and sinking into your pores… gross. So whenever you come home from a late night out, do your skin a favour and make the effort to clean your face. Here are a few steps for your morning and night routine:
- Makeup wipes or makeup remover (for those who wear makeup): If you go straight for the kill and try to cleanse first, the makeup ends up smudging all over your face – especially eyeliner and mascara. So remove any makeup first.
- Cleanse: Remove all dirt and oil from the day. You may also want to double cleanse if your face was exposed to some particularly dirty elements that day!
- Tone: A toner that contains state-of-the-art ingredients can make your skin feel smoother and softer. It will also calm and repair your skin. There are also different toners for all skin types – so do a bit of research before buying one.
- Moisturise: Even if you do have oily skin, you need to moisturise! By depriving our skin of moisture, it will overcompensate and produce more oil. This means extra oily skin, which equals pimples! It is also worth investing in a moisturiser that contains SPF for day wear to protect your precious skin.
You also want to be exfoliating 2-3 times a week. Weekly facial masks will help further extract toxins from the skin as well.
Last but not least… please ladies, do NOT pop your pimples! We repeat do NOT pop your pimples! The pore is already infected and inflamed – your skin is already trying to heal itself. So let it do its thing! All it requires is to be treated as an infection, so find a good acne spot treater to zap those bad boys (and then leave it alone!).
This is a very basic skin care routine, but it works. While it may feel like a bit of effort for those of you who don’t already have a skin care routine – it is so worth it! Our skin is the first thing that people see, and it is the only one that we will be wearing for the rest of our lives. Our skin can only heal and repair itself so much naturally, so work with your skin, and it will allow you to age gracefully!